Gluten, egg and nut free Vegetarian Dairy free option
- 4 -6 sweet potatoes depending on size (preferably organic)
- 1-2 tins of sardines in springwater
- 1 avocado
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 red, orange or yellow capsicum
- ½ cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 1 handful or parsley or herb of choice
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Sour cream to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash sweet potatoes well and prick them a few times with a fork.
- Put them on a tray in the oven at 200 degrees for 45 mins-1 hour depending on their size. They are ready when you can stick a fork into the centre easily.
- Meanwhile make a salsa by mixing together the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, capsicum, parsley and lemon juice.
- Break up the sardines with a fork and stir them into the salsa.
- When the potatoes are cooked remove from the oven cut into the top of the potato a couple of times each way to open it and top with cheese, sardine salsa and sour cream.
Options: Dairy free – Omit the cheese and sour cream. Fussy tip: If your child prefers regular potatoes use them instead of sweet potatoes. If your child isn't keen on fish start with just a very small amount of sardines. Alter the salsa to include mainly vegetables your child likes or leave everything seperate and serve bento style. Add extra of any component they like.